Aller au contenu

Livres à recommander pour culture personnelle

1000+
 Partager

Déchet(s) recommandé(s)

Il y a 21 heures, Carlos Crasseux a dit :

Tout ! Idéalement des lectures qui aiguisent les idées et la réflexion par rapport aux enjeux sociaux et politiques actuels.

Un ouvrage que je trouve toujours très pertinent aujourd'hui même s'il date de 1996 c'est The Demon-Haunted World : Science as a Candle in the Dark [lien vers leslibraires.ca] Preuve :

Citation

“I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness...

The dumbing down of American is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance”

Et

Citation

“The chief deficiency I see in the skeptical movement is its polarization: Us vs. Them — the sense that we have a monopoly on the truth; that those other people who believe in all these stupid doctrines are morons; that if you're sensible, you'll listen to us; and if not, to hell with you. This is nonconstructive. It does not get our message across. It condemns us to permanent minority status.”

Encore et surtout

Citation

“I worry that, especially as the Millennium edges nearer, pseudoscience and superstition will seem year by year more tempting, the siren song of unreason more sonorous and attractive. Where have we heard it before? Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us - then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls.

The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir.”

Pour finir

Citation

“Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light‐years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. So are our emotions in the presence of great art or music or literature, or acts of exemplary selfless courage such as those of Mohandas Gandhi or Martin Luther King, Jr. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both.”

Un livre qui commence un peu lourd, mais très satisfaisant au final. Carl Sagan a une très belle plume et son esprit est toujours aussi rafraîchissant aujourd'hui qu'il pouvait l'être à l'époque, car il fait tout dans la nuance et l'humanité, alors que ses successeurs ont tendance à participer de la polarisation qui ronge nos sociétés occidentales aujourd'hui.

Je suis une dévoreuse d'ouvrages de non-fiction, mais je n'ai pas une bonne mémoire. Pour l'instant c'est le premier qui me vient à l'esprit (c'est aussi le livre qui m'a fait me déniaiser pour entrer dans la profession enseignante), mais je vais réfléchir à d'autres car je comprends que c'est un sujet qui n'est pas passionnant pour tout le monde.

spongebob squarepants smiling GIF

• J'aime! 3

Moi aussi je me cherche des essais intéressants à lire.

Jusqu'à présent j'ai lu quelques petits essais relaxes (outre les livres ou extraits obligatoire dans les cours au cégep et à l'uni) tels que : Freakonomics (Stephen J. Dubner et Steven Levitt), L'État contre les jeunes (je sais, Duhaime, j'ai honte un peu, c'était dans ma période libertarienne lol), Écrire en toute liberté (François Barcelo), Du surnaturel (Bertrand Bergeron)...

Ce sont ceux qui me viennent à l'esprit spontanément, mais je m'intéresse à toute sorte de sujets.

Et en ce moment dans ma liste de lecture pour cet été j'ai : La langue rapaillée (Anne-Marie Beaudoin-Bégin) et Le principe du cumshot (Lili Boisvert). Ils attendent patiemment dans ma bibliothèque que mes envies de lire reviennent.

• J'aime! 1

Veuillez vous connecter pour commenter

Vous pourrez laisser un commentaire après vous êtes connecté.

Je veux revenir!
 Partager

• Créer...